Second day of Thailand cave rescue

Geneva Stokes
July 11, 2018

Ten rescuers had put on scuba gear and headed into the Tham Luang cave network about 11 a.m. local time on Monday, Thai officials said.

Less than an hour earlier, an ambulance with flashing lights had left the cave complex, hours after the start of the second phase of an operation to rescue the soccer team.

Rescuing the remaining five people, including the boys' 25-year-old soccer coach, could take more than one operation, he said. "Hooyah", the Thai Navy SEALS wrote on their Facebook page Monday, referring to the boys' soccer team, the Wild Boars.

The second phase began at 11 a.m. local time, which is midnight Eastern time.

A fifth (update: and possibly sixth) boy was reportedly rescued from the cave site in Thailand, as rescue operations that have extracted four boys so far resumed Monday morning. Jesada said they were uncertain what type of infections the boys could face "because we have never experienced this kind of issue from a deep cave".

The rescued boys are being kept in sterilized isolation units at a nearby hospital, which prohibits physical contact, and their parents have not been told they're safe.

Eight boys are still inside the cave and along with the team coach.

Authorities had said that incoming monsoon rains that could send water levels in the cave rising, coupled with falling oxygen levels in the enclosed space, added to the urgency of getting those trapped out.

Looming rain was one of the main enemies of the operation, threatening to flood the cave complex in mountainous northern Thailand, although a bewildering array of other dangers could also doom the escape plans.

The announcement came a day after a group of rescuers brought four boys out of the Tham Luang Nang Non cave complex in a unsafe operation that involved them diving through narrow, winding passages filled with muddy water and strong currents.

Thai policemen secure the road leading to Tham Luang cave area as rescue operations continue for those still trapped inside the cave in Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in the Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai province on July 9, 2018.

There was no word on the condition of any of the people brought out on Monday. But officials waited several hours before confirming their rescue.

Four boys brought to safety, rescue operations to resume soon
Medics appeared to remove one person on a stretcher but hid the person's identity behind multiple white umbrellas. The first two boys emerged Sunday night from the cave in Thailand where they have been trapped for two weeks .

Iranian General Soleimani Praises Rouhani for Threats Against World Oil Supply
Since Trump's announcement, Iran's rial currency has fallen, prices have risen and the country has been hit by street protests and strikes.

Saudi Arabia raised oil output by around 500,000 bpd in June
Some members should remember that the United States is defending them for little reciprocal benefits, he added . USA light crude settled up 20 cents at US$74.14 a barrel, rebounding from a session low of US$72.73 a barrel.

The boys are being guided out of the cave by two divers with oxygen tanks.

Ambulances at the hospital are on standby to receive the next batch of boys who are expected to be plucked from the cave.

The first stage of the mission ran "smoothly" and the rescued boys were in "good health", according to the Thai authorities.

Even tech billionaire Elon Musk has been lending a helping hand.

Musk posted videos on Twitter of the aluminum sub being tested at a swimming pool Sunday midafternoon California time.

Authorities have not confirmed the identity of the first four boys freed.

A total of eight boys have now been rescued.

The first kilometer is the hardest, CNN explains, as that's where the children have to navigate a narrow flooded channel.

The boys became trapped in the cave on 23 June after heavy rains caused flooding, but were found alive last week by divers.

But he added rescuers may need more than 20 hours, to replan and replenish oxygen supplies, to be ready to mount the next mission.

He tweeted Sunday evening the group was en route to Thailand with the device and would reach the destination in about 17 hours.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article